RE: [RC] Rule Change Proposal - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

3)  Lower HR criteria -- I understand the objection.  The two pulls
I've had on my horse is simply because he was too excited to come
down, so I'm actually taking the chance of shooting myself in the
foot here.  I'd be happy to hear from some vets.   I'm perfectly
willing to drop this one if the concern is that it would penalize
horses that are new, but are not being overtaxed.

But often enough, too excited to meet criteria in a green horse also means
too excited to eat, drink, rest, etc.  And thus, still more likely to get
into trouble, need treatment later on, etc.  Adrenalin from excitement and
'fight or flight' still decreases blood flow to the GI tract, and thus makes
those horses more prone to colic than a more experienced horse.  Sometimes
the horse would be fine if the green RIDER would stop a minute, get their
panties untwisted and leave their horse alone for a few minutes to get some
hay and water.  Either way, personally I'm fine making those meet a stricter
criteria, even if it means they can't meet it and don't go on.  If the horse
can't meet a reasonable criteria, why is the best solution to that to shrug,
say 'he's just excited' and let him continue on down the road being excited
and still at increased risk?  Rather than keep him at the check long enough
until he does start to get a clue that it's not all that riveting after all
and hey looky, there's hay over here?  If a horse can't reach a reasonable
criteria within 30 minutes of coming in, excited or not, then either a) the
rider needs to do more schooling and socializing, and here you are at a
great place to do that (because you're not going down the trail anymore
today, friend), or b) he's not well-suited to the sport, at least not today.
Sorry if that seems exclusive and elitist, and is unnecessarily hard on the
heavy-muscled breeds that can't come down, but better that than treating
horses that were just too goofy and went on anyway because we want to seem
like nice people.

Maybe a better alternative would be to just require an exit CRI, which looks
at recovery rates, not pulse as an absolute value.  Might be easier on RMs
and the infrastructure, just a little more work for the vets.  Fine by me.
The different colored card would help identify who needed one.  I know it
would to some extent rely on an honor system of who's a newbie rider, but we
already rely heavily on an honor system regarding a number of things,
anyway.  We don't require a negative Coggins or health certificate, don't do
preg checks on the mares, don't check registration papers for age or
ownership, etc.  We hardly ever weigh anyone outside of Top Ten.  Hell, we
hardly even drug test.  Most of this sport is based on an honor system to
one extent or another.

Truman, I'm not sure this is only a PS region issue.  It MIGHT be, I just
don't know because I don't vet outside PS.  Given conversations I've had
with riders I trust in other regions, I don't think it's just PS.  We have a
number of rides that start 150-175 horses, base camps that are centrally
located and thus attractive to new riders trying it out, and all  that might
be contributing factors.

But I also think it's important to differentiate between "treatments" and
"ridden harder than was reasonable despite advice to do otherwise".  The two
aren't always the same.  As well, there are plenty of treatments that don't
require a full IV fluid hook up.  Could have just meant some banamine,
easily missed by casual observers.  Still a treatment, still means we failed
to adequately identify and prevent overriding.  I agree, it's the rider's
responsibility to take care of their horse.  Sometimes the rider still needs
to have their car keys taken away from them, so to speak. If I have an
opportunity, and the tools, to prevent a rider from hurting their horse,
I'll do that for the horse's sake.

I'm going to go put a bumper sticker on my truck that says, "Friends don't
let friends override."

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM