[RC] Throwing Stones/Horse Abuse - frank solano

There are many riders who have proven, over the years, that they can participate without hurting a horse, or other riders.  For those riders who typically participate and for whom things might've gone awry at a ride or two (over YEARS), the aberration of that happening is certainly apparent.  For riders who consistently can't complete a ride, I'd guess the aberration would be when they DO complete a ride.

Holding a rider to a standard which they've not demonstrated the ability to attain can be tricky.

"Grandfather" those who've demonstrated that ability.

For new riders, make it clear that they must demonstrate an ability to successfully complete an Limited Endurance Event, then, if it is their intention to move into the fifty or 100 mile venues, demonstrate an ability to complete an Endurance Event  and then, be listed in the AERC dateabase as having met competency requirements at whichever level.

Then, and only then, can ANYONE be held to any standard, because then, they have demonstrated that it is attainable for them and they know how to successfully accomplish the MINIMAL standard without degradation to the horse, themselves, other horses and riders or the Sport.

Everything we do as riders, and particularly as MEMBERS of AERC, reflects on the Sport, good or bad...by extension, everything we DON'T speaks to what is truly important to our organization.

Frank Solano