[RC] how to rate a ride - Tx Trigger

It is more common for a trail to NOT have any mileage markers. Our local trails have 5 different loops out of camp, with mileage markers every mile, on every trail Had to laugh at a rider who thought ALL rides would be that way, as this was the only place she had ridden, and was very upset at a ride that had trails with no mileage markers.

With technology changing since the "early days", one of the best training tools I have ever bought has been a GPS, or even the Timex speed/distance watch, to see what different speeds my horses walks, trots, fast trot, steady trot, and also to be able to set it up to keep my average PACE for the trail. Ride with one in training, and you just get a feel for what a 5.5mph average pace is...including stops for water etc.  You can learn the feel of having to walk through the deep sand or rocks means you need to pick it up on the nice section with wonderful footing to average your pace out.
Jonni