[RC] Mariposa and why it should concern ALL AERC members - Debbie Ekhaml

I forgot to mention my original point in the emotion
of the moment;
 For all the safeguards we seem to have in place ie;
Horse Welfare Committee, Vet Checks, No drug policy,
New rider pre-ride meeting and even plain old peer
pressure, this horse was almost killed. And not
through ignorance or stupidity.  It was a PURPOSEFUL
act. We all think it's ok because our horses are
protected. But this should be a glaring example of the
major chink in our level of protection and how
inadequate it can be.  Sies was completely uneducated
by the irresponsible people who brought him to this
ride.  Although we all have different tack, clothes
etc, for the most part, the gear is functional for our
sport.  There should have been red flags all over the
place just by looking at him.  From the few postings I
have read so far, Sies would have listened to no one.
And therefore should be banned from EVER coming to a
ride again.  My concern now (It is a little late after
finding out about this 5 months later)is what happened
to this horse?  Someone should have had the Humane
Society do a followup.  I'll be willing to bet his
care was minimal if at all.  But the bottom line is
this--Are the horses at rides protected enough?  This
one sure wasn't.  THIS SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED TO
HAPPEN AGAIN!  Maybe we need to make the new rider
meeting a MANDATORY thing.  Ok, now I am going to go
back to Ridecamp and start reading all the posts on
this, Thanks, Debbie
P.S. Pat is my new hero.

http://mail.yahoo.com