[RC] Mariposa protest reply to Bruce - oddfarm

Bruce, this is not a soft, touchy feely kind of situation. This is a serious problem and the board, IMO did not take it seriously enough. Stop the excuses.

You think the rider was a rookie? I'll bet my last dollar that was NOT the first time he had ever ridden a horse. Maybe his first endurance ride, but not the first time on the back of a horse. So the claim that he was ignorant to horsemanship, is not valid. You don't have to know a damn thing about this sport to know that whipping and spurring a horse that just can't give anymore is wrong. Stop making excuses. And, judging by the fury of the owner, I would bet again that the rider was given some sort of instructions on how to ride the ride. Apparently, he didn't follow directions.

Saying that a rookie may have little or no knowledge of this sport just doesn't absolve them of their responsibility.  I know that here is the SE we have beginner meetings and I am pretty sure that has caught on at other regions as well.  When the vets speak and say things like "take it easy, it's gonna be hot", or "if this is your first ride please come and see us after the meeting" and a rookie doesn't take advantage of that advice, they are not ignorant but rather CHOOSING not to be educated.

The education page on the website is wonderful. I would bet that most RM in all regions pass out first rider info in their packets. The information is there, Bruce. Some people choose to ignore it. Stop making excuses for their behavior. I don't know why you say we all have to take responsibility for this kind of crap, when AERC's mantra is ,"You are responsible for your own horse".

If you don't expect people to be held accountable,  then don't expect much else.

Was the rider remorseful? Probably. Every inmate in prison is remorseful. Every kid who gets caught doing wrong is remorseful. Every drunk driver who gets pulled over is remorseful. So what. They still have to pay for what they did. There HAS to be a consequence. That is what keeps us "civilized". (or so they say)

Patrick was remorseful and he was still punished.

We all have choices, Bruce. Some people choose to drug and abuse their horses. Some are novices, some aren't. What difference does it make? Does punishment deter the crime? How would we know?AERC continues to choose pardons over punishments. If you think that none of this evolves around the fear of lawsuits, then lets stop using THAT as an excuse.

AERC has taken on the roll of policing our rides. The rules are in place to monitor our conduct and horsemanship. The P&G committee is in place for those who feel the need to protest an action. Whether it is breaking rules, or hurting horses, they have the responsibility to dole out the appropriate punishment, when necessary. Otherwise, why do we have these rules? So by not punishing the rider in this particular protest, they have ignored their responsibility to both the membership and more importantly, to the horse. It matters not, what rules are in place if no penalties are enforced.

I have suggested, almost begged for the board to come up with a penalty phase for our rules that is consistent and appropriate. Instead, it is still done case by case with the P&G deciding at that time what will be the end result as opposed to the membership knowing exactly what to expect. That is what deters offenders. KNOWING what the punishment will be for the crime. If you speed you get a ticket. If you drive drunk and get caught, you get arrested.

If you ride a horse to the point that is has spur welts and needs 40 liters of fluid if it is going to survive, well then it depends. If you are ignorant and remorseful and not a member you get nothing. If you drug your horse and deny it and then admit it along with the fact that the horse was sick the day before, you get nothing. Threaten bodily harm you get "publicly censured and rebuked". Run your mouth to the officials though, boy you are out! By the way, both were violations of the SAME rule 15b, unsportsmanlike conduct. Notice that threatening bodily harm and chasing someone for a beatdown didn't qualify for the more severe punishment that cussing and mouthing off to officials did which was a 3 month ride suspension and a nine month probation. Because it all depends, I guess.

A sad, sad situation indeed.

Lisa Salas, the Oddf aRm