[RC] mentor requirement - Milroy Grosse

I think that having a mentor is a great idea if you are new to anything.  Even "seasoned" people can benefit from peer mentoring.  This is true in endurance, marathon training, buisness, etc etc.

I think the problem or one obstacle for having REQUIRED mentoring for those new to endurance or LD or anything is that the mentor would need to be qualified.  Meaning that if the AERC or whatever governing body required new riders to have a mentor for their first few years then AERC would have have a responsibility to first, specifically define what a mentor's qualifications would need to be; second, set up some certification program so that mentors were qualified to teach safe practices.

Once you make something a requirement then it has to be regulated so that the playing field is even (am I making sense)?  Just like it is a requirement that 25s and 50s must finish under a certain time.  Or that all horses have to pass the same vet check criteria...it levels the playing field.

Plus, you just don't want people picking any old "mentor" just because they are required to.