[RC] RIDing LDs - Donna Deyoung

I completed my first LD last month and am doing another this weekend. I guess I fall into that category of less than perfect rider/horse - I have injuries to back/neck and my horse is blind in one eye. Perfect candidates for 50s? not yet, but hope to try next year if its within our training capabilities. I'm thankful for the LD rides and for the placings/rewards offered.

At my first ride, a member asked me how I'd prepared, and did I read any books? I guess they were wanting to help/check me out. I responded I had done CTR as a teenager, done lots of long distance trail rides, and had read as many books as I could on endurance riding. If you looked at my horse, you could tell he was fit on the exterior. And I mentioned he had great recoveries. He did. We had been training for the ride.  We had consulted w/ a Mentor. We planned on finishing but not fast.

The first half of the ride I made fast time as it was cool and trails were easy. I rode as fast "as we could" given the terrain... nothing faster than a fast canter ... in case the trails got harder and made us slow down. During the second loop, they did. It was warmer and more humid, trails more technical. We slowed down ALOT. I ck'd my horse, I could feel him, hear him, almost "being" him... We slowed for the conditions - both external and his conditions. Then, a breeze picked up, miles were behind us, and we began passing people. I let him pick up the pace again. We finished mid-pack and I was the fastest "first time rider". Nothing record breaking.

I couldn't really have ridden any faster. That wouldn't have been fair to my horse. I wondered how those ahead of me finished so much faster... there horses were different, they as riders were different. I accepted that. What mattered most to me was that my horse got all "A"s and one A- on his score card both mid ride and at the end. He looked good. He seemed to have "enjoyed" the ride and adventure. We rode within our capabilities.

Education is the key to healthy horses at the end of a ride. Education and a willing mind. We need good role models willing to share how HARD it is to train for an event and will not DOWN PLAY the dangers of riding endurance. For those willing to listen, there is plenty of information available. I'm thankful that member stopped me to ask me what my qualifications were for the ride. It showed they cared about my horse and the sport.

Donna

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=