From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Jessica Spoone-Raines
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 9:06 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Mariposa abuse

Let me preface this by saying I wasnt there and don't know any of the involved. I had heard of a similiar situation though involving a woman I know. Again I wasnt there so its all second hand but form very reliable sources. This woman was reported as beating her horse in the course of an ld because the horse couldnt maintain the pace the woman felt was needed. This person has had access to excellent mentors and has been warned over and over about the way she rides. She is obsessed with "winning" and though she claims to love her animals winning is more important to her. Some people ride like their ego is on the line. They don't belong in this sport and never will. It doesnt matter who tries to help them or what they are taught they will do exactly what they want and the horse be damned. Personally if I ever see somebody doing something like that I will defend their horse no matter the cost to me. If you are able to, you should defend the helpless, instead of a horse lets imagine him beating a child on the side of the road with a stick because it was too tired to keep walking. How many would be jumping in then? Doing whats right and doing whats legal should always be the same thing but in our society a lot of times it is not. In a sport like this you need to be willing to sacrifice your own ego for the welfare of your horse, as soon as you become more important then the horse becomes expendable.

Jessica Spoone-Raines