Re: [RC] Name for the Colt - Linda Marins

k s swigart <katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
Maybe this is something I learned from the TB people.  Young TBs are
rarely ever named by the breeder, they are usually named by the person
who actually races it, ...

...Because I guarantee you if I bought a weanling colt with any of
these names: Canadian Immigrant, Canadian Innukshuk, Imagine Canadian,
Impossible Canadian Dream, one of the FIRST things I would do is change
the horse's name...

Letting the purchaser name the colt is a TB convention.

In Morgans, the breeder almost always names the foal, the prefix
(or, rarely, suffix) is registered with the American Morgan Horse
Association and very jealously guarded, functioning as a kind of
brand name.

And the registry forbids changing the registered name of
the horse without the approval of the breeder.

There was even a case where a dressage rider was using a
made-up show name for a registered Morgan and the breeder
tried to bring legal action to force her to use the horse's registered
name in competition.  Something about an AHSA or USDF
rule to that effect.  The breeder wanted the advertising value
of having bred a Grand Prix level Morgan.

I don't know where these conventions came from.  Prefixes
have been floating around Morgandom since the 1930's.
I've always wondered if they picked it up from the show
dog people.

Linda Marins