Re: [RC] Barb wire fence question - kathy . mayeda

My horses have been in barbed wire, straight wire, electric tape and have been able to stay out of trouble.  But plenty of trouble can be had in an open herd boarding situation.

My new boarding place has the best fencing of all - 3 rail pipe with wire grid from top rail to ground.  They can't even rub their manes through the fence!  I can't believe how it took me so long to get to a boarding place with lights at night, covered arena, plenty of turnouts and two other outdoor arenas.  I miss being with endurance buds from Lightfoot but they aren't there anymore.

K.

From: Tx Trigger <txtrigger@xxxxxxxxx>
Our pastures are fenced in Barbed. Three sides are 5 strand Barbed, another side in very old square wire, with 2 strands barbed along the top. If the fence is kept tight and in shape, no loose wires, and fix broken wires, most horses will have no problems in it. Ours reach across the wire and scratch the neighbors mares on the withers, but never get caught up in the fence. Now, I will add, we have all geldings, and they have no reason to want to get to the other side, and do not lean on the fence etc. The neighbors mares back up to it, push on it, and are more destructive to the fence. Also, if the pasture is plenty big enough to not get over grazed,the horses won't feel the need to get to the other side for food. I've never worried about the "spooking" and running through it, as out field is plenty big (25 acres in this field) as the horses know the parameters, and are constantly running around and know where to turn and stay out of the& nbsp;fence. Horse more often get tangled when fence becomes in poor repair, or the horse is just an idiot who has no respect for any fencing.

Just my opinion. And there is nothing wrong with adding another type of fence to keep them off the barbed wire if one feels the need.
Jonni