Re: [RC] Barb wire fence question - Ellen Zawada

I will never have even an inch of barbed wire on my property.  My sister has scars so bad on her thigh (knee to crotch) that when she tells people that she was attacked by a shark, they truly do believe her.  The cause was a freak accident.  She was standing 10-12 feet on one side of the only section of barbed wire fence left on my parents property when one horse decided he did not like the other horse and horse #1 ran through the fence.  The broken strands wrapped around my sisters leg, and were then ripped off.  These were two horses that had been together for years, in a very large pasture.  They just had a very bad day, and my sister paid the price.  While horses can, and will get hurt on just about anything....barbed wire is just not worth the price to me.

Ellen

Tx Trigger <txtrigger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Our pastures are fenced in Barbed. Three sides are 5 strand Barbed, another side in very old square wire, with 2 strands barbed along the top. If the fence is kept tight and in shape, no loose wires, and fix broken wires, most horses will have no problems in it. Ours reach across the wire and scratch the neighbors mares on the withers, but never get caught up in the fence. Now, I will add, we have all geldings, and they have no reason to want to get to the other side, and do not lean on the fence etc. The neighbors mares back up to it, push on it, and are more destructive to the fence. Also, if the pasture is plenty big enough to not get over grazed,the horses won't feel the need to get to the other side for food. I've never worried about the "spooking" and running through it, as out field is plenty big (25 acres in this field) as the horses know the parameters, and are constantly running around and know where to turn and stay out of the fence. Horse more often get tangled when fence becomes in poor repair, or the horse is just an idiot who has no respect for any fencing.

Just my opinion. And there is nothing wrong with adding another type of fence to keep them off the barbed wire if one feels the need.
Jonni

Zephyr Creek Kigers

http://www.freewebs.com/zephyrcreek/index.htm
http://community.webshots.com/user/zephyrcreek