[RC] What Endurance Means To Me - TypeF \(Jackie Floyd\)

I haven't been active on RideCamp this last year in the posting aspect, but I do read it. After all, it's where I first landed, several years, after deciding to get back into endurance after being out of it for so long.

But these days endurance seems to have taken an entirely different turn for me. Never in a million years, did I think that I would find a horse, fall in love with him, and ride him 1200 miles in one year. Never in a million years, did I think that it would be over just as quickly.

Most of you know the horse I'm talking about is Tank. After two years of trying to figure out what's wrong with him (and many have tried, including some very well-known vets, two nutritionalists (one of them seems to keep breaking her arm), an herbalist, a chiropractor, a physical therapist and several trips to UC Davis) I think that we've all collectively settled on a pinched nerve. Although I could find that out definitely, with a nuclear scan or a mylogram (both very expensive), I don't think there is a point. If that's what it is, it's not fixable. He seems very happy being a pasture ornament. That makes one of us.

In an effort to stay "within the fold," I kept up with my endurance guide and published a supplement. And while the supplement has a 2007 date on it, it's not about dates. So I have decided not to do a 2008 one. With my mom's health almost at it's end, I am spending the majority of my spare time with her.

I have also tried to keep finding the time to ride once a week, and pretend to be "conditioning" a horse. After all, I do have two that I can ride besides Tank. But it's just plain not the same. I'm not sure it will ever be.

I also took a trip to New Mexico, not for the GSFHR, but to visit my good friend Katey Gies, Tank's former Mommy. We spent four out of the five days I was there, whizzing up and down and around the wonderful single-track trails of the mountains right out her back door. We pretended we were at Grand Canyon as we looked out over the beautiful scenery. GC coincided timewise, with my trip to New Mexico and GC was the last time I saw Katey three years ago. So it was kind of a nostalgic trip. I did come home in a much better frame of mind. After all, I was on a good horse for four days!

In an effort to stay with this endurance thing, I immediately badgered Angie into a new cartoon for a first aid kit I've been wanting to sell. My enthusiasm kind of went overboard and now we have a new t-shirt for the non-Arab riders who have been bugging me, a long-sleeved T, and a lunch cooler.

While the definition of endurance has changed for me, I am really trying to stay positive that someday it will mean the same thing to me that it did in 2004-05, when I traveled about, seeing so much beautiful country, with my best friend Tank. So, for now, I'll have to be satisfied with helping Angie make people laugh about the sport we all love so much.

And there is a little bit of light at the end of my tunnel (although I usually say it's just another train) ... Karen Chaton's Granite Chief and his brother Zenos will be getting a new baby brother or sister in March. I am looking forward to a cute little Cheefee look-a-like out of my mare Crystal. Now that I think about it, maybe the future is not so bleak after all.

Jackie Floyd