Re: [RC] pads as shock absorbers? - Beth Walker

I currently don't use pads, either, though I have in the past. ?What you say certainly makes sense. ?I also think there has to be a physical limit on the amount of shock absorption that a pad can give, based on the thickness of the pad and/or the materials. ?I'm also not convinced that a pad can offer enough shock absorption to really make a difference.

However, to my mind, I don't think the major benefit of a pad is in the shock absorption. ?Aside from theraputic uses, I think the major benefit ?is in the protection the pad may afford to the sole of the foot from sharp rocks, etc. to prevent bruising. ?Even many 'rim' pads have a smaller opening than a totally bare or standard-shod hoof, which decreases the chance that the sole will contact a rock hard enough to bruise the sole.

As for shoe / pad combos staying on the foot -- I think it depends on the composition of the pad, and the individual farrier. ?I used wedge pads on my old horse, as he had feet that went long toe / low heel no matter what the farrier did. ?He had a way of going (from the time he was born) that just crushed his heels. ?In his 20's, he developed arthritis. ?Using wedge pads opened up his angles and made him much more comfortable. ?The farrier I had (same one I am still using) in his 20's had no trouble keeping his shoes & pads on. ?Other farriers I had used in earlier years couldn't keep shoes on him for 2 weeks.

My guess for why pad / shoe combos come off: ?if the pad 'squishes' too much, it allows the nails to get torqued on every stride, bending them very slightly each step. ?Won't take too much of that for the nails to shear right off. ?