RE: [RC] Founder - Karen Standefer

Founder is the failure of the laminae connection between the coffin bone and
the hoof wall which then allows the coffin bone to change orientation within
the hoof capsule (either by rotating downward, or falling to the bottom of
the hoof capsule, or a combination of the two).  It can be either mechanical
in nature or metabolic or a combination of the two (poor hoof form and a
metabolic insult that caused the laminae to become weak and then the
connection lost because of poor hoof form).  If the hoof capsule deformation
is not corrected so that the coffin bone is sitting correctly in the hoof
capsule again, then there will be pressure on the bone in places the bone
was not meant to take pressure.  The result of this can be that the coffin
bone is destroyed or demineralized or changed in shapes (remodeled).

I would suggest finding a farrier who excels in treating founder and get
his/her opinion to see if the hoof can be fixed.

In addition, because founder is a metabolic problem, that horse shouldn't
have any grain or excessive sugars (most experts say to keep the NSC below
10% in a prone horse's diet).  That may also mean soaking the hay in water
before feeding to remove most of the sugar from it as well.  And, no pasture
grass.

A horse that founders because of metabolic problems will be prone to it
again.  But, founder in one hoof I would consider as suspect.  That could
easily be from mechanical issues (poor hoof form caused by unbalanced
shoeing/trimming).

Karen