Re: [RC] question re: appropriate breed of horse for newbie with variousinterests - desertrydr1

Consider a Shagya Arabian.  They are a separate breed from Arabians.  They were developed in Hungarian state studs when the Hungarian breeders brought in some purebred Arabian stallions to cross on their mares.  They are bigger, with excellent bone and feet,  and a really nice disposition.  I have an 18 month old gelding that is 15H.  He's 1/2 Shagya and 1/2 Anglo-Arab.  He is just the sweetest baby I've ever seen.  I also have 2 purebred Shagya fillies, full sisters, that are 2 and 3.  All three are just really nice, accept new situations in a whole different way from a lot of the Arabs I was used to.  Very smart and trainable.  None of mine are old enough to ride yet, but I watch the way they move, and can almost imagine how smooth they will be to ride.  My purebred Arabian mare has had two 1/2 Shagya fillies.  The owners of both of them would not part with them.  Yes, I asked.

The Shagyas have a history of being both riding and driving horses.  They have done verry well in endurance for the few numbers involved.  Fayette de Cameo is a half-Shagya.  Hungares, the horse that won the Endurance World cup last year was a Shagya.  Oman, one of the best known American Shagyas, has competed in Endurance, Jumping, and several other disciplines, besides being a breeding stallion.  Some Shagyas are competing in Dressage, I'm not sure at what levels, but they tend to be fairly uphill horses, thus suitable for a lot of uses.

The best thing about them though, has got to be their dispositions.  They really like people.  They pick up on stuff really quickly.  I was doing some elementary Natural Horsemanship stuff with the fillies, and they just catch on in about two or three tries.  They pick up on your body position very quickly when you are asking for respect and space.  Can you tell I like my Shagyas?  jeri