Subject: RE: [RC] furacin and wounds - Julie Fuller

Susan

I've been watching this thread and waited to see if you'd suggest the best product in my arsenal of first aid supplies, and now you have......sorta

If you
already have an area that looks like it's turning into proud flesh, then I
apply a generous amount of triamcinolone (long-acting steroid) cream mixed
with chlorhexidine cream under a telfa, sheet cotton, vetrap and elastikon,
and leave it alone for about a week until the next bandage change.

Have you heard of, or used Dermalone ointment?

Dermalone Ointment is a combination of nystatin, neomycin sulfate, thiostrepton and triamcinolone acetonide in a non-irritating vehicle, a polyethylene and mineral oil gel base.
Each mL contains:
Nystatin 100,000 Units
Neomycin Sulfate (equivalent to Neomycin base) 2.5 mg.
Thiostrepton 2,500 Units
Triamcinolone acetonide 1.0 mg.

Several years ago, my husband's horse ripped up her back legs coming out of a horse trailer. The wounds were deep (clear to the bone in some places) and of course very prone to proud flesh as they were below the hock. We bandaged with Dermalone, wrapped with telfa pads and vet wrap and changed the dressings only when they began to fall off (although at first we had to change more often) This went on for weeks. But that mare had no proud flesh, and healed very nicely.

I keep a big bottle of it in my first aid kit (which my vet says is as comprehensive as his! (he donates to it all the time, so it should be!)) It's kinda expensive.... I paid nearly $90 for an 8 ounce bottle, and that was at cost, but it's worth it, IMO.

Julie