Re: [RC] Why the negativity about CTR? - Lynne Glazer

Can't always depend on photos to tell the tale of happiness or not. My one rat report is that if the riders see me take their picture, there is a difference in expression. The ones where they don't see me look more like they're concentrating, rather than looking unhappy. At the recent Tejon ride, at the second location on Day 1, I was somewhat hidden about 150mm away in the canyon they were coming down, and only about half the riders noticed me, so you can see the differences.

The other thing I've noticed is if the riders recognize me personally, their expressions change to one of good humor w/ greetings. If they're riding in a pack (like the dusty shots from High Camp at Tevis this year) they were less likely to notice me until the last minute before passing. Concentration was pretty necessary there.

My all time favorite ride photo was when I had no idea the photographer was there, my first time doing Sunland in 1999, and it was Jonni Jewell's shot. <http://www.photo.lynnesite.com/photos/ 4313028-L-1.jpg>

It also depends whether I'm having a good time on my horse or not-- which in my Rubberband's first rides was more about whether the photo was taken early in the ride (insert <grimace> here.) As a photographer, I love it when the horse is being a twit and the rider is just laughing about it--I could do that on my mare and in fact one photo was in a catalog because it was so funny, but not on my boy. Hmmm. I think it is the rubberband-aspect of life, plus she had a whole lot more self-preservation instinct than he does, which is why he'll probably never be a Tevis horse.

Lynne
Ember, Q and Twix
http://www.photo.lynnesite.com