Re: [RC] Ariat Terrain Paddock Boots/Shoes for Running&Ridingor RAT - Beverley H. Kane, MD

There's a picture of the new Terrain Paddock Boots at
http://www.ariat.com/products_detail.aspx?pcid=12&cid=29&scid=92&pid=501
And they -do- look like combat boots.

When I was new to endurance, I destroyed my feet running next to my horse
(well, Jazon's horse) in Ariat Cobalt paddock boots on a hot day. So I
researched shoes and wrote an article for November 2005 Endurance News. A
survey of AERC members showed that 58% ride in "trainers [running shoes],
trail runners, or tennis [court] shoes."  PM me if you want the pdf of the
article.

Off of my research, I switched to low-cut, Terrain-last shoes: Dumas and
Pulse. I had a slightly disastrous situation last year when the Pulse kept
slipping off my left foot under my half chap during a conditioning ride,
would not stay on, and basically had to ride back w/ one stirrup. After
that, I switched to riding (w/ EZ Rides) in the Saucony Grid Shadows that I
run in. I try to run/ride every other day.

Another tip: get some of those plastic spring-loaded toggles for the laces
of running shoes (and lace-up paddock boots). All the running stores have
them in, like, a big fishbowl. No more laces coming untied--ever! Works fine
under half chaps, too.

Beverley