Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] [RC] [RC] NATRC is not endurance/bits & racebrain - Laney Humphrey

Beth, have you had a trained equine dentist look at your horse's mouth? He may have dental problems that are causing the sores on his tongue and also could be causing his behavior since he's in pain.
Laney

Beth Walker wrote:
Thanks folks!

Sounds like I'm not the only one. I did try leaving after everyone at Fandango ( the LD ), and he was OK until we passed some folks. I'm also getting pointers on ground work, since his ground manners go out the window at rides, too :( I saw some improvement in that area at the Manzanita ride, and it seems to help with his calming down so he can pass the VC, too.

As for the new bit -- I have a Myler Low Port Forward Tilt (MB 36) and also a Myler Ported Barrel ( MB 33 ). I know that the MB 36 tears his tongue up ... he had a bad sore on both sides after the Manzanita ride this weekend (our first 50).

He seems to have a wide tongue, fat lips, and a narrow jaw (4 3/4 width mouth), as best as I can tell. Not sure about the palate height, but I am assuming fairly low.

I haven't figured out exactly what is causing the sores on his tongue, but I think it is getting pinched between the bit and his teeth. I am on the lookout for a new bit, since I have yet to find one that he seems really comfortable with. I've tried the two above, plus a french link (not nearly enough whoa for ride day), a Wonder bit (pinched / rubbed his lips). I just bought a Sweetwater mouth western bit, but it looks like it is too wide for him - the shoulders of the port hit right on his bars (and I have yet to find a western bit in a 4 3/4 width).