[RC] Pokey Horse question - Fred & Cynthia Ross

I have competed a QH mare for many years. Mostly CTR but some endurance also. She is VERY laid back and was most happy to poke along as slow as possible. There is hope! LOL. It took a bit of work to get a good trot on her. She wanted to do the QH jog or canter. In training with friends, I simply would not let her canter to keep up. It took a full season but she figured out that the only way she could stay with her buddies was stretch her legs and trot. She now has an amazing big Arab trot and can keep up with the best of them. And as she got fit, she no longer minded doing the speed and distance at all.

I've found a good walk a lot harder to develop then a good trot.

Cindy R. in Maine