Re: [RC] [RC] energized horses/making them that way and then toning it down! - Dawn Carrie

It would really piss my horse Bear off when I would pull him up and circle him while letting the other horses go on ahead at rides, so that we could have a sane ride.  Once he grew a bit of a brain and I let him start staying with other horses, I'd give him one warning to listen to me if he started to get race brain...if he didn't listen, then I'd pull him up and let the other(s) go on.  Believe it or not, I think he finally figured out that if he wanted to ride with other horses, he'd better behave, otherwise I'd make him let them go on.  He's fine doing 50 miles alone, never loses his impulsion and forwardness, but like most horses, prefers to be with someone.

Like you, it drives me nuts when people just let their horses go because they "can't" control them.  It's not that they can't, it just that they WON'T do whatever is necessary to win that battle.  We did a lot of rides coming in last or near last, way slower than Bear was conditioned to go, but I've got a horse with a brain now, and it was worth it.  He's only 8 now, and I wasn't about to spend 15 years riding a nutcase.

And yeah, I've been known to threaten to turn that #$%@ horse into Alpo at the first vet check...it was a real love-hate relationship for the first few rides!  <G>

Dawn Carrie
and Bear (I'm much better now)