From: Beth Leggieri <trailyaya@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Ranelle Rubin <raneller@xxxxxxx>
CC: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] NATRC is not endurance, but we can sure learn from that discipline!
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 10:03:09 -0700 (PDT)

I rode sweeps at a CTR this past weekend as I'm curious about their sport, thinking it will be a good place to start a green horse on trail in preparation for moving to the more stimulating environment of endurance.

Among my observations --
1. My horse is poorly behaved. He could never have stood so quietly for as long as the CTR horses did for their on-trail vet check. Resolved: Continue to work on improving his vet check manners.
2. My horsemanship needs vast improvement. Resolved: For my own safety and that of others, continue to work on my horse's side passing, backing, standing quietly while on the trail.
3. I saw lots of relaxed riders seeming to have a great time, negating my earlier presuppositions that the sport was composed of uptight types who were overly concerned about rules. Resolved Remember that we are doing this FOR FUN (those of us who are riding "recreationally" not as budding professionals attempting to build a ride record).
4. My overall impression was that it is a very safe environment for both horse and rider and a great place for anyone to start their trail training of a young or green horses.

Beth in Texas

--------------------------------- Check out the hottest 2008 models today at Yahoo! Autos.