Re: [RC] A vote at the AERC Board meeting - SandyDSA

In a message dated 9/30/2007 4:44:42 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
IMO your vote was right one the money. I see this as breaking a trust to
the members. The dollar per rider fee was passed and accepted by the
membership for drug testing. It was not passed for research into drug
testing or any other thing. IMO it needs to be budgeted separately and
taken out of the general funds.
Truman
Joe Long wrote:
> There was a motion at the Board meeting yesterday to donate $7,500 out
> of the drug testing fund to the Gluck Equine Research Center at the
> University of Kentucky. The Center is doing work that is very helpful
> to the AERC in refining our drug rules and appendices.
>> I was the only one to vote "no" and I'd like to explain my vote.

Joe, you are absolutely right! Money must never be allocated outside of its proposed and APPROVED use! It has nothing to do with the value of the end "donation". It has to do with breaking a trust with the people who are part and parcel of the org who CHOSE to allocate monies to one issue and now find it being allocated to something else. That is WRONG WRONG WRONG. The AERC needs to come to us - the membership - and tell us what they want to do and why it is a good idea. If the members feel it is a good plan and worthy of a few extra bucks, they can - and probably WOULD choose to do it. Personally, if my daughter asked for $50 to go buy feed for her horse and I said fine, and she went and bought new splint boots - also a good purchase   she would be punished for deceiving me about her intent and/or use. So...where does this absconding of funds stand right now?

Sandy Adams
Deep Sands Arabians
www.deepsands.com