[RC] Quality vs. quantity time - Hilyard

So, my 6 year old Morab is at a trainer's for two weeks (and by report, doing well, although when I saw her today she had some girth ouchies).  But it made me think, and I thought it would be a good campfire topic.  I haven't boarded a horse for any reason since 1993.  When I lived in the Dallas area, I boarded at 5 different places in 4 years - the shortest stay being overnight and the longest almost three years.  Anyhow, when I went to see Crystal today, I realized that I had nothing to do but BE with my horse.  Since I was 20 miles from home, and had nothing pressing going on, I could just sit with her, brush her, and focus on HER.  At home, with the horses 50 yards from the back door, after seeing she was okay I'd think about the dishes, or the laundry, or the computer, and head back inside.  Also, since Millie is an only horse at home at the moment, I find myself spending more time with her.  So what do you guys think who have done it both ways?  I've never boarded before when it was full board - I always did pasture board and fed them myself.  It is positively strange not to have responsibility for the daily care of my horse.  But here's the question -

If you board, is your limited time with your horse more quality than for us with backyard horses who know they are there for the enjoyment anytime?