RE: [RC] [AERCMembersForum] A vote at the AERC Board meeting--another oersoectuve - heidi

Joe is basically correct in what happened (below) but I would like to add a
different perspective to his comments.

1)  He is right on the mark that we do need to be willing to put our money
where our mouth is with regard to drug testing by supporting the Gluck Center.
Dr. Thomas Tobin is a unique asset to the world of equine sports medicine and
is a priceless resource when it comes to putting together a state-of-the-art
concept for drug regulation such as the one that he has coached our
organization through.  I think that the Board is in full agreement that such
support must be forthcoming from us if we are to continue to build on what we
have started.

2)  I wholeheartedly agree with Joe that monies collected with the intent of
testing should be used for same, and I (and a few other directors) voiced this
sentiment.  I certainly came away with the idea that the vet committee and the
Board woould be far more sensitive to this issue in the future--and had a good
side discussion with Melissa about this as well.

3)  The Board had ALREADY in long-past action agreed to use this money as was
finalized. There was no point in reinventing the wheel or going back over and
over old ground--the main thing was to clarify how this would be handled in the
future, and I think the discussion fully got that point across.

4)  Additional discussion would not have added one iota to enlightening any of
us further on this issue, nor would it have changed the outcome of a
vote--therefore additional discussion was utterly pointless.  I for one really
appreciated the fact that Mike ran a very tight meeting in which we got through
a lot of material in a limited time, and I REALLY appreciated getting to leave
just a tad early as a result, which meant I could catch an earlier plane and
get home before 3 a.m.!

All in all, it was an excellent meeting, and it is refreshing to see how much
the organization has matured in the past several years.

Heidi Smith DVM
Director-at-Large

There was a motion at the Board meeting yesterday to donate $7,500 out
of the drug testing fund to the Gluck Equine Research Center at the
University of Kentucky.  The Center is doing work that is very helpful
to the AERC in refining our drug rules and appendices.

I was the only one to vote "no" and I'd like to explain my vote.

I fully support the donation, I believe the work they are doing is very
worthwhile and important to the AERC and endurance riding.  I objected
only to the source of the funds.  Although the Board voted last year
that drug testing funds, which come from a dollar-per-rider surcharge at
AERC rides, may be used for research as well as testing horses at rides,
I do not believe that we should have done that in this case.  Not only
do I believe that earmarked funds should be used for the purpose that we
told our members they were earmarked for, I believe that we need to be
testing more rides and should not be diverting funds from that purpose.

I intended to suggest that we take the money out of our general funds
instead, but the Board cut off debate before I had an opportunity to do
so.  Therefore, I voted against the motion.

--
Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx