Re: [RC] HELP - My mare is frustrating me - Don Huston

Hello Susan,
I too have found my horse with puffy front legs after too much speed work and that IMHO is what the puffiness was telling me. It was too much for that horse at that particular time on that surface with that shoe-job etc. Don't be discouraged, the horse is telling you that something needs changing, feed, saddle, how you are conditioning, shoes or boots, it's like solving a mystery by studying the clues. I found that soft footing (sandy desert roads) are just as hard on a horse's legs as hard packed dirt at speed. That's why race tracks spend millions to get and maintain perfect footing and why I only let my horse gallop short spurts (30 sec at 30mph is a quarter mile) because that is my longest stretch of good footing. The cramping could be from many things, previous muscle pull, food imbalance or even recent vaccinations. I no longer do the shotgun thing of vaccinations, teeth floating and worming all in one day. I spread it out and never do any of it within 2-3 weeks of an endurance ride because IMHO I think it caused severe side cramping in my horse for 2 months and pulled from 2 consecutive 50's one year when I tried to ride the first 50 (pulled at first vet check then again at lunch) one week after vaccinating. Never rode that soon after vacs before, horse had never cramped before and has never cramped again. Could have been a fluke, who knows for sure. I figure the best I can hope for is to pay attention to the clues (and you did), ask for input from others (and you did), and try to do things in such a way that I do not repeat whatever it is that is causing my horse a problem (easier said than done right?). One of the best things I do for my horses is give them time off, they always come back better than before. I still ride them but with no particular purpose, just wander and graze if there is any, the cowboys call it a "nerve ride". It takes the horse (and the rider) out of work mode and lets them relax and settle their nerves and heal whatever needs healing.
Don Huston