[RC] HELP - My mare is frustrating me - k s swigart

From the description provided, it wouldn't surprise me if the "cramping"
hind leg is actually a locking stifle (upward fixation of the patella),
and I would look into that because it certainly sounds a lot like that.

However, whatever the cause of this mare's assorted physical problems
when being asked to do, in comparison to what is required of an edurance
horse, very little physical exertion, _I_ would abandon the idea of this
horse being an endurance horse.  Horses that don't stand up to the mild
increases in work necessary to get them ready for an LD ride aren't good
candidates for endurance horses.

If this horse were mine, I would just keep her as a pleasure horse
rather than continuing to train her as an endurance horse until the
point where she was broken to the point of being unfixable so that she
CAN be a pleasure horse.

Good endurance candidates don't show physical limitations being "brought
along slowly" for an LD ride.  Not every horse is suited to be an
endurance horse, and whatever the underlying causes of this mare's
physical problems, what causes the problems to show themselves is a
little bit more work.  If a little bit more work brings problems to the
surface, _I_ wouldn't even want to go further down the road of asking
for a lot more work.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)
Le Meilleur que je sais les hommes le plus que j'aime mon cheval