RE: [RC] [AERCMembersForum] A vote at the AERC Board meeting--another oersoectuve - heidi

Some had suggested taking the money out of the research funds, as it was
for research, but that amount wasn't available in the Research
Committee's budget.  But no one had yet raised the option of using
general funds instead of drug testing funds.  So although it was clear
the money was going to be donated, there was still a possibility of
using a different source.  As you pointed out, we were ahead of
schedule, going to the "nuclear option" of cutting off debate wasn't
necessary.

Um, I raised the issue of making this its own budget item--I think that is
pretty much the same thing as "taking it out of general funds."

There was certainly nothing "nuclear" about cutting off debate--we were going
over the same ground, over and over again, one director got tired of that and
called the question (which is a perfectly legitimate thing to do), and all but
one of us (yourself) agreed with him by supporting the call of the question.
It was done very calmly, professionally, and congenially, from what I could see.

Again, I agree with your general premise, clearly there was some concern about
it from the membership, and I think that that concern will be taken into
account in the future handling of this sort of donation.

Heidi