Re: [RC] [RC] Trotting Styles of Horses - frank solano

On 1/23/07, Val Nicoson <vnicoson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm looking for my next endurance horse and have come upon the option of different trotting styles

Hi Val,

If the horse I'm looking at for endurance has an efficient trotting style, that's the horse for me.
"Efficient", for me, translates to a balanced two-beat gait.  At liberty, I watch the BACK hooves as the horse trots.   As the horse lifts the back hoof, I try to follow that hoof and try to discern the "circle" it makes as the hoof unloads, reaches forward and loads.  For me, I like to see more of a shallow oval, rather than a deep oval or an actual "circle".

In my way of thinking, this translates to "efficiency"...it required less muscle from the gaskin on up through the stifle to the hip and the sacro-lumbar.  Less muscle required, translates to a lighter oxygen requirement for forward locomotion.

For the rider, this also means a smoother ride.  The closer the rear hooves are to the ground through the unloading/loading moment, the more stable the horse, the more comfortable the ride and the concussion (impact forces), though not completely mitigated, are certainly lessened.

All of that said, "efficiency" rather than "showey" would get me to choose the horse.
After all, we're talking about spending A LOT of time on THAT horse.

Good luck,
Frank