[RC] First 100/suggestions - heidi larson

I'm not in your region Kyle, but we did complete our first 100 this fall at the PAC North ride in September and here is what I learned about doing my first 100!

1. If you think you might be starting to chafe on a 50, you WILL CERTAINLY chafe on a 100, carry something to prevent or treat this.  Susan Favro (Healthy as a Horse) sold me a great cream with aloe vera and no petroleum product that saved my life!

2. Carry a glow stick with a way to attach it to your breastcollar and attach at the top and bottom so it doesn't sway and cause you or your horse or another rider vertigo

3. If it's a ride where it gets cold after the sun goes down (it was in the high teens/low 20's for our 100) have warm clothes ready at the point you think you may need them.  We came into a vet check at around 7 pm and I had polar fleece breeches to put on over my reg. tights as well as a warmer jacket/gloves.

4. At around 75 miles, I changed ALL my clothes, but most importantly, my socks and underwear.  It is a great boost to your mental health when you are dry and comfortable.  I also changed my horse's saddle pad to a clean and dry one.

5. Eat and drink small amts. all day

6. If you're riding in the dark, DON'T steer your horse or you're liable to end up off trail.  The first couple of times I tried to be the leader, we were in the puckerbrush, after that, I just held on and off we trotted, Ash did great and it was a blast letting him be in charge for a change.  (I did have to watch the spooking at glow sticks, this was his first time to see them in the dark and they do cast weird shadows and make rocks and such look eery!)

7.  Have fun!

heidi and Kalasha

Thekids18049@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hey NE riders,

Would like to hear from 100 mile riders in the NE for which 100 is a good one to try. Looking for a fall date. There's the HB 100, the Carolina 100, and Spook Run 100 that we've been thinking about:)

Thanks,
Kyle

always stay connected to friends.