From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Linda Marins
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 4:53 PM
To: CTH; ridecamp
Subject: Re: [RC] problems with the study

I'm starting to smell a citation rat (one article says
something and everybody keeps citing that one article
over and over again without ever questioning the
original research).

Here's an interesting publication put out by the 4H
people (1.5 meg PDF):

on the risks of various recreation activities, including
horseback riding.  It's got good citations.  I'll look into
it more, but the earliest "horseback riding is
more dangerous than motorcycles..." statement I can find
referred to may have been made in a 1985 article:

Firth, J. L. (1985). Equestrian injuries. In R.C. Schneider, J. C.

  Kennedy, & M. L. Plant (Eds.), Sports Injuries: Mechanism,

  Prevention, and Treatment. (pp. 142-157). Baltimore, MD:

  Williams and Wilkins.

And of course everybody just keeps repeating it,
like this 4H publication does:

"The rate of serious injuries to riders per hour of exposure is higher for horseback

riders than for motorcyclists and automobile racers (Firth,

1985)."

Most of the hard core hits, particularly the "more dangerous
than rugby" angle,  I get from a google search of

    horseback "Journal of Surgery"

come from something called the New Zealand
Accident Compensation Corporation.

which seems to be a kind of New Zealand government-supported
no-fault accident insurance scheme that pays people when they
get injured.  But, because the government covers you, you can't
sue for damages.  The NZ Accident Compensation Corp. is pissed
off because horse injuries are so expensive to it--not
more frequent than rugby injuries, just more costly per incident.

To the authors' credit, in some interviews they sound embarrassed
at the way their research has been portrayed.

Linda Marins