Re: [RC] RC] OT-HomeMade Horse Trailer - desertrydr1

My first horse got hauled around, up to the Mountains several times and wherever else we needed to take him, along with my boyfriend's horse, in the back of a 1951 1/2T International Stepside, with wooden stock racks. The two horses learned to jump right in.  That was back in 1976.  I was pretty naive about horse behavior back then, I guess.  I had seen it done (admittedly in newer trucks with full beds), and had seen a lot of other livestock hauled that way.  My boyfriend seemed pretty confident that it was a good way to haul horses for up to 4 hours.

The first horse trailer I ever saw was also homemade.  Back in the mid-60's, my uncle built a two horse straight load trailer using an old double axle from somewhere and metal metal, angle iron for the frame.  Cut and welded all the pieces himself.  It had a front shaped like a half-moon, space for tack, very heavy duty.  Had lights but I can't remembe what kind of brakes it had.  He put a nice white paint job on it, and even in Michigan, it hadn't rusted out by the time I moved away about 10 yrs later.  It was every bit as nice as the store bought ones of the day.  jeri