Re: [RC] [RC] Disney movies - Karen Sullivan

Cynthia and all, I was right there in front of the tv, especially for
horse or dog movies.....but I was later horrified to read (back in
70's), how much animal abuse there was in the 'Disney films, and the
"true life" adventure series about wild amimals perpeutated all sorts
of untruths; with the main focus being entertainment, not any kind of
natural history truth or facts.  Animals that would never interact in
the wild were penned in close quarters and goaded into
fighting....anything was doing to get the shot desired.....add that
into the whole debacle and ecological nightmare of building Disney
World down in Florida....it just sickens me.....grumpy old woman
speaking now, can't believe how many folks are brainwashed into
believing Disney movies are the epitome of wholesome, family-oriented
entertainment; where the predators were most often portrayed as the
villians...the movies have always had a fair amount of violence; even
the scene in Run Appaloosa Run, when the cougar goes after the colt is
clearly faked....but the colt clearly terriried....

Anyone who doesn't believe me, do a google and snopes search

Yuck!

Endurance related?  I loved the Disney films for the glimpses of
horses....but I believe my desire to ride the trails came from some of
the great youth horse fiction back in the 60's and 70's.....

Dark Sunshine by Dorothy Lyons is a fictional account of a young girl
back in the
late 50's who captured and trained a while mare for an endurance race
in the southwest...great book.  The Tack Ranch series by Glenn Balch,
set in the wild Owyhee high country were one of the best horse series
written, in my opinion, that have a more honest account of ranching
and the misconceptions of wild horses and their lives, than anything
Disney ever did.