[RC] bucking convention, paying the price - Lynn White

Alexis,

Glad to read that you stuck to your guns and got a
second opinion. I know it's a hassle, but being
vindicated is worth it. Good riddance to the nosy
"former endurance rider."   Hope this person stays
away from this sport and leaves people alone...hope
she paid the vet bill by the way.

Nothing wrong with leaving your horse barefoot as long
as your horse has the feet to handle the workload that
you are subjecting him to.  I was watching this old
documentary from the 1920's called "Grass."  It's
about the Baktiari tribe in Iran that do this
incredible migration over the Zagros Mountains.  None
of those horses are shod and they must ride 15-20
miles a day over rocky terrain.  Made a believer out
of me.  Also saw many older pictures of the Kurdish
horses with NO SHOES.  Talk about some rocky terrain.
Of course these guys were not riding their horses 100
miles a day fast, but for what they were doing the
horses did not need shoes.  Most of us would look at
that terrain and not even think about walking a horse
without shoes.  But those horses are never shod.

Here in the US I see many horses shod that don't need
shoes.  For MOST horses, dry footing, regular
trimming, and a good diet is all a horse needs unless
you are riding so much that his feet are wearing down
faster than they can grow. Of course, if you are very
competative or one of those FEI riders, this does not
apply!  If I have a farrier that says all horses
should be shod at all times you can bet I'll be on the
phone looking for another.

-Lynn

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.