Re: [RC] [RC] Best Sound Magnifying Stethescope? - Faustina Duffy

Yep...and when I can't feel the beat, it usually means he's below 60....

I got tired of fiddling with all the high tech gadgets that only worked 1/2 the time and started just using my hand during rides too.  My guy has a LOUD heart and his pulse is really easy to just feel with my hand next to his girth.  It's great, works fast and I don't have to worry about packing anything extra along.  I've found I can take his pulse by feel in a lot less time and even while he's maybe wiggling around.  I will still listen with my steth after occassional training rides to actually "hear" the beat, the quality, the sound, etc to monitor for any changes every now and then.  Plus a steth is helpful to have around for gut sounds too, although I've been seen with my ear pressed against his side as well.  =)

~ Crysta