Re: [RC] Stethoscopes - Beverley H. Kane, MD

Title: Re: [RC]  Stethoscopes
You can go too far the other way—pay too much. When I was in med school, I paid $250 for a fancy Sprague-Rappaport (two famous cardiologists) model made by Hewlett-Packard. After a while I couldn’t hear squat. Then I bought a battery-operated one that was wholly unsatisfactory, too. I’ve used a lot of $20 and $30 ones—the kind clinics buy 20 of just to have around.

For endurance I went to the Stanford medical bookstore, tried a bunch of stethoscopes, and settled on a $100 Littman with turquoise tubing—very identifiable! (For any money, I think Littman is the best.) It has both a diaphragm and a bell. The bell lets you hear lower tones, like some hard-to-hear horsey lub-bups. I find doing P&Rs, I often have to turn the scope around to the bell side. Anyone coming down (out?) to Tejon Fandango is welcome to try it out!

So I recommend the cheapest 2-sided Littman that you can hear out of.

Beverley