Re: [RC] [RC] Over conditioning - Dawn Carrie

It applies both to the several weeks right before the ride (need to give the horse time to rest and build up reserves for the upcoming ride), as well as during the months of conditioning leading up to the ride.  If you ride the horse in hard or fairly hard conditioning rides 5 or 6 days a week, you don't allow his body to recover from one conditioning ride before you throw another one at him.  Over time, little aches and pains can become brewing injuries.  He may show that the conditioning schedule is too much by losing weight/having trouble maintaining weight, looking dull and "unhappy" with life, etc.

Dawn Carrie, Texas