[RC] starting horses late - sherman

I started 2 horses pretty late. The first was an 8 yr old mustang that I’d been told was 5. I thought that 5 wouldn’t be too tough to deal with. I’m glad I didn’t know she was 8 ‘cause I probably wouldn’t have taken her. She was pretty easy, once I could catch her (:>). She never did any bucking with me, just tried a little rearing after 3 mos of being under saddle. Once we got that under control, she was a good trail buddy.

The next was my current horse, Sonny, acquired when he was 7 ½, put under saddle at 8. He was easier than the mustang, never really resisted anything and always seemed to quickly figure out what I was asking him to do. He was really, really easy to train. I tell my riding buddies that he trained himself, I was just along for the ride. My neighbor actually thought the owner must have been dishonest when she sold him to me as halter broke only. He is a little impatient when we go to the vet checks, but we’re working on that, and I cannot get him to take his right lead. I’ll work on that more this winter in the arena, might be my balance that needs fixing.

So, I’d say 7 is a great age to start an Arab…or mustang.

If you want to see Sonny at Tevis, I put a little video on youtube. http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rtw6qlkIoqk

Kathy

Angie wrote:

OK, Subject line was too short to say it right. My new guy 7 is NOT for

sale! :-))? For those who have asked, or care, or are vaguely curious

hoping I've bit off more than I can chew >g< I'll just let ya know that I

couldn't be happier with my new boy.? Age 7 is definitely not a bad age

to start an Arab. He's just as sensible as he can be. We've taken a tiny

baby step forward every day for 63 days and not one step back. I got on

him with a saddle for the first time yesterday and he considered it a

real yawner of an occasion. I think I did good letting someone else feed

him (or in his case let him forage) till he was good and mature. Would be

interested in hearing of others started late.