RE: [RC] Santa Fe Adventure part 4 - Suzanne Avery

Laura,

This was great. Thanks for writing it. Would you mind if I forwarded this on to another list?

Suzanne Avery

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Laura Hayes
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 1:09 PM
To: ridecamp
Subject: [RC] Santa Fe Adventure part 4

The stories of my fellow riders were spectacular.  Scott Griffin started endurance simply to compete in this ride.  He was mentored by long time rider, Suzy Kelly, and won the overall ride.  He treated his horses with respect and care, rode smart, and is hooked for life.  Jim Hole came from CA with his little bay Tevis horse, Little Big Man, and quietly and humbly rode every step of every day.  Karen Frederickson rode every day with her wonderful partner, Murphy, who received his 6000 mile patch while on this ride.  Two quiet and sweet cowboys from NM, Shawn Davis and Dawson Higgins and their QHs jogged and loped through several days of top fives.  The McSwains substituted Diane for Mac when he broke his shoulder, and she piloted three different Spanish Mustangs through their first endurance rides.  Bonnie Yoho from AR rode EIGHT days on one Tennessee Walker.  Seventeen year old Ginger Moon Anderson of CA rode her horse eight days also, always with a big smile.  Susan Thompson from TN rode every day on two different horses, the first place woman to accomplish that feat. The five member Yost family from Utah rode together day after day and were a pleasure to be around.

There were some logistic problems with this ride, but I have never been to a ride that did not have something out of order.  I have committed to next year's Santa Fe ride, and promised to come up with some team rules and structure - the team aspect was unique and very exciting.  My husband and every other vet there have committed, time willing, which is a glowing endorsement for any event.

This ride was a unique opportunity to ride a historic trail, meet many new and forever friends, share the trail with our equine partners experiencing the adventure missing in so many lives.  Several times while out there, surveying the grasslands and majesty of the trail, I wondered, "what do the rest of the people do who don't see this country from the back of a horse."  I feel sorry for them- they will never know what they are missing.

Thank you to all who made that possible for this rider.

Happy trails,

Laura Hayes

AERC# 2741