[RC] Sallie's Story--The Horse is Never Guilty - John Teeter

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Natalie Herman" <aylisha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: September 17, 2007 9:52:12 PM MDT
Subject: RE: [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.5296

<<<She described coming to the same trails for a training ride, and "riding her
horse into an IV bag"..then she said, "And I KNOW better"..I won't name
names, because it has no purpose, but suffice to say, we all would love to
be as knowledgeable as this lady is..it can happen to anyone, anytime, for
alot of different reasons!>>>
?This is how I feel about it...I have been on both ends (kinda). When I first started in endurance, I overconditioned, underfed, and though I loved my horse, new little about what distance (at that time, only LDS) can do to a horse. I had read a few books and went to my first three rides. Got caught up riding with a friend and rode a little faster than my horse should have gone (we were still overtime, btw, so I was by NO means "racing"...the horse just was not in shape to do more than 15 miles at endurance finishing speeds). I ended up with a VERY tired horse, who luckily did NOT need treatment. I learned really fast though how to condition properly and how to ride properly (have gone almost a 1000 miles on one horse this season so far with no issues so far, so I think I am finally catching on how to do it right, LOL). I learned A LOT and now endaevor to helpr as many beginners to the sport as I can. If ppl had "publicly reamed me out" I would a) not have learned anything except how endurance ppl are all non-understanding snobs, b) would not have changed anything in how I ride cause I would not have learned HOW to, and c) would not be around to help other begginers now.
Also, I have seen (as recently as at a local ride a week ago) how someone rideing SLOW, CAREFUL LDs can still end up with a treated horse...horse vetted greeat all day, but coliced due to non-ride related issues later. She has a healthy happy horse now and there was nothing she could have done. She has always ridden him conservitively.
So let's not "ream" ppl out for things out of thier control, or even IN thier control. comfort those who can't help what happened, and EDUCATE, not berate, those who could...
?? Natalie

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming.... 'Wow! What a ride!' "

Get a FREE small business Web site and more from Microsoft® Office Live! http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0930003811mrt/direct/01/