[RC] Positive Changes in AERC since 1983 - Kathleen

These are of course, my opinion, however I am pleased with the development of endurance riding since I became involved in the sport in 1983 and cite the following changes at rides in the NW:

.         Stop and Go checks run by a layman (as opposed to a vet) with a

pulse down criteria of 72 bpm no longer exist, having been replaced by pulse down into hold checks with 60 bpm and a vet check.

.         Vet checks occur at more frequent intervals (one vet check in a 50

was not uncommon) whereas most 50's have 3 now and it is proportional in the longer distances.

.         Fit to Continue criteria at the finish line requiring horses to be

sound and metabolically fit to gain a completion (in the 80's as long as the horse crossed the finish line they received a completion whether they were dead lame, had to be treated, or even died).

.         Cardiac Recovery Index (called the Ridgeway when it was

introduced)  This caused quite a hullabaloo when it was introduced but is now a tool riders and vets use for valuable feedback during the ride.

.         On our NW LD rides the first to finish is the first horse to pulse

down after crossing the finish line

.         Lame horses are not considered for BC (saw a few of those in the

early 80's-now they probably would not even get a completion)

.         HWC:  actually tracking fatalities and making an effort to learn

something from a tragedy

.         Just my observation that it is rare to see a bagged horse at our

regional rides whereas in the 80's it was pretty common at every ride. I attribute this to more stringent criteria at vet checks and a general increase in our knowledge and competency as riders in managing our horses.

.         Again, just my observation but there sure seems to be fewer sore

backs/fewer galls/fewer white hairs from long term saddle pressure. Horses in general, look better at the end of rides than they used to, less dehydrated, brighter eyes, more relaxed. I really think we as riders have become much more astute at pacing,management and have benefited from improvement in equipment and feed.

If I thought for a longer period of time I could probably come up with some more positive changes and I hope some of you chime in with things I have forgotten.

Do I believe AERC is perfect?  No.

Would I like to see it continue to grow and change?  Yes.

Do I believe that horses are safer (riders too, for that matter, lots more helmets than  in 1983) due to changes in AERC?  YES!

So, while we continue to push for change and growth let us not lose sight of the positive changes in our sport in the last 2 decades.

Kathleen Ferguson

AERC #717