[RC] Was Clarification - Now "plug him into an IV" - Mateef

I'm a little bothered by this line of thinking. I was at Big South Fork last week to ride in my second ever 100.  I planned to start back of the pack and ride a conservative pace.  We started out fairly slow in the early morning dark. It didn't get light until an hour into the ride. By then, the horses were finally starting to spread out. The two horses I found myself riding with were lovely horses and pleasant, interesting riders that I thought would make good trail companions for the first 20 mile loop.  It soon became evident to me that my horse was struggling to keep their pace and I elected to pull him up and let them go on.  He had a HUGE hissy fit and it took 10 to 15 minutes to convince him that we NOT going to go that fast.  We continued the rest of the loop doing our own pace. Sometimes catching up with others, sometime being passed but for the most part riding our own pace. We walked into the first vet check at 3 hours. 20.6 miles. As my husband and I sponged and sponged, his heart rate was not dropping like I thought it should.  My gut told me something was wrong. I started over to check with a vet who was crewing, it was evident my horse was cramping. I immediately went to the treatment vet who confirmed a muscle cramp using his thermo-gun. He was given a shot of banamine and some Ace and we waited for the transport trailer. I was advised to keep a look out for that all important next pee. I spent the rest of the day with my horse, keeping him in the shade of our awning until afternoon provided shade in his pen. He ate, drank, mugged me for oatmeal cookies, and dozed off and on all day. His heart rate returned to the 40's shortly after arriving back at camp. I checked in frequently with the treatment vet and he advised short walks every couple of hours. At 5:30pm (we were done riding at 9am) he peed dark, coffee colored pee. He received 35 liters of fluids before his kidneys produced the next pee.  At no time, did I ever feel discriminated against for having my horse "plugged in." Kind people I didn't know came over and asked if I needed anything, a drink, anything. I was very grateful for everyone's kindness.
I certainly don't believe I overrode my horse. I did everything I could to keep that from happening. He would have been much happier if I could have found him a suitable trail mate early on, but that didn't happen.  The vet said that his prognosis was excellent because I caught it early. The cramp could have been caused by a slip on the trail and could have even happen before the ride even started. I wish I knew but I'm sure glad competent vets were there for us. In the meantime, it has been suggested I have his selenium levels checked. Any other suggestions welcome.

Sallie Sullivan
AERC #15099