Another thing I do is experiment with different ways to motivate my horses. A light touch with spurs has always worked well until this latest guy I got from the track. He has minimal response to spurs. What will make him leap into action is a loud "haa" or a whistle or a crop. Can you say "loud bang of the starting gate" and "jockey with a crop"? Took me 2-3 years to figure that one out tho. The reason it is important to have a good "motivator" is to use it to test to see if my horse is recovering after walking a bit. If I am not over riding my horse he will jump back into action after walking for awhile. I try real hard to maintain that attitude in my horse but sometimes I fail like last Jan.
So...what I'm trying to say is ...I try to ride my horse such that he will perk up in 10-15 minutes of walking, not later. IMHO perking up later means I'm riding my horse beyond his conditioning or something else is wrong.
Don Huston

At 08:28 AM 9/13/2007 Thursday, you wrote:
Don,

Don't horses get poopy on hot afternoons of long rides, perk up later?

Regards,

Mike Sherrell
Grizzly Analytical
707 887 2919; fax 707 887 9834
www.grizzlyanalytical.com
-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [ mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Don Huston
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 12:01 AM
To: mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] was rearing - now sluggish

Hello Mike,
Just guessing here and tossing around ideas. I would do some testing before I would push the horse. A complete blood panel including Lyme Disease to see if he has some underlying problem like low glucose or whatever. When he gets sluggish jump off and check heart rate (should drop to 60 in 10-15 min or you are riding him beyond his conditioning level) and respiration (if higher than heart rate he is having trouble cooling), check rectal temp (102 is max IMHO, 103 no more riding and start sponging down to 100). Also could be a low grade type of road founder where he is fine for a while then just won't move out. If you get him onto softer footing does he immediately go better? If so, he is telling you something. And of course there is what you are feeding him which I would not change until I got my vet's analysis of the blood work. Good Luck because it's always nice to have some.
Don Huston