Re: [RC] was rearing - now sluggish - Keith Kibler

Don and Mike
This is really an interesting subject to me. My main horse is 13. I started him in endurance last year. For his first 50 I had 450 miles in training between Jan 1 and race day on May 20th or so. He was just short of brillant. Did great all around.
Rode hime throughout the year , gave him a bit of time off around January and started him towards this years season. The horse is a bit "cross wired" and goofy at times, which is why he was sold to me in the first place. If not ridden enough, he might just run a direction you dont want and then jump something, no, Leap something you dont want. With mileage and work, he becomes normal.
btw, he thinks he is a stud and is not. He shoots blanks, but does not let that stop him from trying if you know what I mean.
This year I only got 250 miles in him between Jan and May.
He was fantastic through 20, at the end of the 20 I used a different electorylyte than normal (I used a product called the Jug). Heading out for the next 15, he was so ready he was rearing with me. Not what I have known him to do after a fast 10 miles mind you. He was perfect as far as I could tell. from 20-35 miles. Weather was perfect, he was great on the vet checks, (with the exception that gaited horses dont exactly trot out now do they?)
As we started into last 15 miles, he refused at the trail opening.
He has never done this before. He will pull over if he has a hoof or shoe issue. Neither the vet nor I saw that at the vet check.
I had to get off and lead him into the trail. Off we went, he refused again about 4 miles later, I did not ride with a riding crop at the time (do now) and picked up a small limb for that purpose.
I could not figure this horse out. I have owned him for 3 years and have ridden him about 2000 miles and not seen this before. We were in the top 5 if I can remember. I was sitting on him and trying to figure it out when Connie, one of the aerc directors caught up to us and said politely, " Dont know you from Adam but something could be wrong with your horse". I agreed. Walked him awhile, then got off, let him eat and then walked with him for awhile.
I then got back on him and eased into the finish. We were 8th.
I explained to the vet in detail. She thought it was probably "the Jug" product but not sure. She could not find anything wrong. He has not acted like that since then. When I looked at him again the next day he was missing a shoe. I simply can not believe that we missed that shoe being gone and that it was gone during two vet checks and the final check, although the day was muddy.
Someone here explained to me that "THe JUG" was intended as an electrolyte for TBs and that they have a different ph than endurance horses but I am unsure of that.
Any thoughts? I hope to qualify him for the NCs next year if they are in Indianna and I love this horse and want the best for him. I have put many miles on him since then with no problem other than his sometimes not liking wooden bridges.
Thanks
Keith Kibler
Shawnee Sunrise Farm
Marion IL