[RC] Info on the GSFR horse wreck - paul

Update on the wreck at Santa Fe Race.

I just talked to Teresa Wilcox on the phone.  Yesterday afternoon I had called
(from Italy) to see how the ride was going for her and wound up talking to
Richie, her boyfriend. He was shook up and on his way to the hospital. Today
Teresa gave me the details she remembered.

They were racing into the finish line, and thought it had been moved a few
hundred feet further.. Apparently people were standing around and cars were
parked along the road, so the riders assumed that there was a traffic control
there. Apparently Richie has photos of them racing in laughing and grinning
right before it happened.

Neither one saw the car until the last second, and it was too late to do
anything. Teresa remembers flying over the car and hitting the ground.. When
people came up, she didn't want to be moved, but was ok. She is bruised up and
has some road rashes.  She wants out of the hospital, but is not sure if she
will continue on the ride. She sounded like she was still in a bit of shock to
me, but I am a long ways from there and not a Doctor.  Obviously she is
heartsick over the loss of her horse. When it first happened, nobody would tell
her how he was.

Mr Valentine was her horse, purchased this summer from Katy Tynes. He was a
nice horse with all his future in front of him. I rode him on his first 50  at
the Jo Tate ride this May.  He was a sweetheart and had a lot of athletic
ability. Teresa had planned for him to be her endurance competition horse for
the next 5-10 years.... They had bonded and he was just getting better for him.

That's all  I know about it.

Paul N. Sidio