RE: [RC] Heat Packs-Human - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

This is what we use at the hospital as warmer bags for critters during surgery (you lose tons of body heat with an open abdomen, so maintaining heat is an issue).  We just fill clean knee-high socks with uncooked white rice and put them into the microwave on high for a few minutes.  They heat up nicely, conform to the body shape you apply them to, and hold their heat for a good 15-20 minutes or more.  You can do the same thing with raw, unground flax seeds and because of the fat content, they might hold the heat even longer.  I just use rice, and save the flax for feeding to the horses, dogs and humans. J   You can re-use the same rice bags practically forever.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of geckogal85@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 9:55 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Heat Packs-Human

Hello all.
I am alternating hot/cold for my back. I am using the ice boot inserts for my horse that I bought at sportack for my back. They are considerably better and  easier to freeze than the icky blue ones I used to buy at the grocery store. It got me thinking...there has to be something better for heat. Any suggestions?? Remember this is for humans.

Geckogal85

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?