Re: [RC] flexible panel saddles - Linda Marins

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert R

Anyone have any experience with switching to these
types of saddles.  One of the saddles I am demo'ing
is a Timberline that is supposed to be just like the
old Orthoflex saddles (same people, same factory,
different name....

Just looking at it, flex panel or not, it seems that most
of the pressure is going to come through the pedestals
where the panels attach to the saddle but the claim is
the panel evenly distrubutes that force over its surface.
 Is that correct?  I really, really like the saddle and want
it work but how will I be able to tell if the soreness
really "worked itself out" or my poor good natured
horse is just learning to live with it?

Ortho-flex saddles (not to mention Len Brown) were one of
the most talked-about and controversial saddles on Ridecamp
for many years.  To see the discussions, go back to the archives
and scan forward from 1995 through around 2001 when the
original OF closed.

The actual geometry of post/panel/horse's back interaction is
very complex, subtle, and difficult to visualize.  It is lot more
complicated than the simple model in the sales literature.

Here are some posts I made about different OF widths
and the role of the angle and position of the posts on
saddle fit:

http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/archives/past/99/34/msg00112.html

Also, the earlier post that prompted my measuring experiment:

http://www.endurance.net/RideCamp/archives/past/99/33/msg00072.html

Ortho-flex  subsequently offerred a "adjustable"
mounting posts for an additional $300 per pair.  Using an
allen wrench, you could increase the distance between the two
posts by up to 1".  (So claimed the OF web page.  When I saw
the adjustable posts at my dealer, it looked to me like
both together would adjust a maximum of a little over 1/2", but
I could be wrong; I didn't measure.)

Other changes OF made, which I'm not sure Timberline duplicates
were to change the solid "System II" flexible panels to a "System III"
panel where the leading edge of the panel was split into fingers.
The idea was that it would yield better to heavy-shouldered horses.

Ortho-Flex's were always a love-em or hate-em saddle,
for both horse and owner.  They worked great on some horses,
and were hopeless on others.  I *hated* mine.  In general, they
seemed to have the most trouble when the horses were either
very short-backed, or the horse had a very wide shoulder with
a slight hollowing behind the wither (panel wouldn't ride on
top of the shoulder, would pinch the shoulder as it came
back, or just plain jab it).  No amount of shimming would
fix this.

If I were to try a flexible panel saddle again, I'd try a Reactor
Panel precisely because they can change the location of
the "mounting points" where the saddle/panel/horse's back
connect.

Whatever you decide to buy, make sure it has good resale
value!  It's one thing to pay $3000 for a saddle, then have to
resell it for $2500 when it doesn't work out; quite another to
pay $3000 and discover noone will give you more than $1200
for it, even barely used.

Linda Marins