Re: [RC] Cruppers - Truman Prevatt

Mother nature is a wonderful woman, but she is also very stubborn. When you put the saddle and girth on and start down the trail there are forces that are acting on that saddle. Eventually that saddle will move to best balance those forces. So where "I want it" may have nothing to do with it is going to be. Mother nature will always win this battle.

I think the first thing to do is figure out where the saddle is going to end up on it's own. Then figure out why, e.g., the girth grove is very far forward, long shoulder, uneven shoulders, uphill or downhill build, the saddle is too wide or too narrow or too long, etc. Once you understand the problem a solution is a lot closer.

As far as a crupper - I've never used one on the two horses I've primarily ridden the past 17 years. I've ridden on the Florida flat to steep ridges of the OD to the gullies and ravines of Alabama to climbs over 12,000 feet in Colorado. Never had an issue with the saddle going forward on either horse.

Actually I very seldom used a breast collar on these horses either. I was lucky with both. The were both very well balanced and once I found a saddle that fit - it stayed in place.

If I had to use extra tack to keep a saddle in place - it's time to figure out what is causing the saddle to move and go from there.

Truman

desertrydr1@xxxxxxx wrote:
Another point about having to have the crupper snug on the falt, if the saddle wants to slide forward when there's no force of gravity (going downhill) there's a good chance that the saddle is really too narrow for the horse. That's a classic sign of a too-narrow saddle. jeri

>>>I adjust the crupper so that when the saddle is sitting right where I wantit to, the crupper is taut. If you don't do that, the >>>saddle will simplyslip forward until it is. Then it's not going to be where you want it. I am
a tall, heavy weight rider and use a western type saddle. I have had >>>notrouble with using a crupper.