Re: [RC] Old Horses and weighing decisions......... - Don Huston

Hello LAD,
I have a 24yo retired endurance horse that was getting creaky until I started riding him once a month last year. He had not been ridden for 5-6 years so we started out at the walk and still just walk. Has done both of us a world of good. I no longer feel sorry for him because he is improving and I know in my heart that he loves being out on the trail again. I sit on his back looking over those ears pricked forward and remember how we used to fly down the trail. It has become more and more difficult to keep him at a walk going home but I use that surge to tell me that this is the best thing in the world for the both of us. I figure some day he will start to fade instead of surge going home and that will tell me that "decision time" is coming, until then us 2 old poops will continue enjoying our walks down memory trail with no regrets or decision worries. I say put that new saddle on old Champ and start walking.
Don Huston