Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] AERC NC story - John Teeter

but consistency WITHIN a given ride on a given day between vets would be, IMO important for those trying for BC.

in the NW, we address this issue in one of two ways:

1) normally, the same person(vet) will evaluate all of those standing for BC so that consistency is maintained (following the mechanism Susan describe)

or;
2) all the vets evaluate and averages are taken across all the subjective results (this is the way it happened at the NC)

Note that in the BC evaluation, a numeric 0-10 score is used rather than the alpha (F-A == 0-5) scoring and that tenths (as in 8.5) are also used which approaches B-, B+;

So, BC evaluations are, IMO, special and different from the gate2hold evaluations (which is what was being discussed in the story). Bob's comments re: the subjective nature and difficulty in using it for research data points is true. It's also true that AERC has not previously attempted to work toward uniformity in this subjective evaluation. But I think that is changing with the Vet Certification process and we should try to evolve toward more consistency in this subjective evaluation. I think the FEI has take this step as they are ahead of AERC in the vet certification process (the "star" system applies to vets as well as other FEI officials, there are *,**,***,and **** FEI vets. There were 3 (maybe 4) 4* vets here last week-end as rated by the FEI. I don't know how many vets were AERC certified - all of the vets were AERC members, but AERC does not (yet) require certification of the vets.

It is the education/certification process that will lead (IMO) to uniformity in the Vet evaluation processes. Over time, it will occur and the odd hard.vs.soft vetting will tend to be homoginized ... for better or worse:)

jt